After installing, using, and deleting dozens of apps, a few have become “Legacy apps” that I’ve come to use while I travel. These aren’t booking apps, or itinerary apps, but apps I use while traveling and facilitating better travel.
I have not listed them in any particular order, but I would recommend that you install all of them, if you are a serious travel.
This app is linked to the incredibly robust map data and satellite imagery with the famous online company – Google. The maps are highly detailed, major map information updates very quickly, and if you have data coverage, it will give you real-time traffic information. Since Google purchased Waze, even waze-user accidents are noted on Google Maps. Couple this with the excellent GPS directions, and transit details, Google Maps can get you anywhere. If you need to see specific details of a location, to check if your RV can fit etc, Streetview images and Satellite images are incredibly helpful. I love to use it with the wifi on a flight to see where we are flying and what is out the window.
So here are the specific reasons this app is outstanding:
- Real-time GPS Navigation.
- Real-time Traffic – with color coded severity.
- Real-time transit details for rail and bus services.
- Auto-rerouting in severe traffic.
- Easy search features for fuel, shopping and more.
- Quick restaurant search, with menus.
- Save places for future.
- Integrates with your Google Maps online.
- Streetview, Interior imagery, Building maps, and Satellite images
- Can be used offline!
Have you ever driven to a destination, and find your parking is metered, and you are out of quarters, or it requires you to walk half a block to secure paid parking? There is an app for that! Many municipalities are moving to app integration, where you can pay for parking from your phone. If you see the app symbol on the meter, payment is possible. The app is feature rich. Here is why I like it:
- Pay for parking from the app.
- Extend time from the app – no more walking back to add more money.
- App alerts you when time is about to expire.
- Locate available parking.
- Locate your car with the app GPS feature.
- More than one vehicle can be associated with the app.
- I have used it to pay for multiple spaces for an oversize vehicle.
There are times while traveling that people want to know where you are. Perhaps you have a teen driver and want to know where they are, and how fast they are driving. Coordinating the arrival of multiple people? this is the app for you. It does require gps and data. Here why I like it:
- Share your location in real-time, on a dynamic map.
- You can set the shared location to expire at 15 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- You can share with anyone – even if they don’t have the app.
- Runs in the background – Share and forget about it.
- Extend the time shared with a simple click.
- Use it to share your location with emergency personnel.
- Your location can be shared with anyone that has internet or data service.
This app has been incredibly useful to me both in travel and business applications. The app effectively turns your phone into a walkie talkie. No phone service is needed, as long as you have data, and will work over wifi as well as cell data. Speak to your friends and family from anywhere in the world. Here is why I like it:
- Real-time Push to Talk communication.
- Missed messages are still available to review.
- If recipient loses data, they can still get messages later.
- one-one communication.
- Private or Public group communication via channels up to 1000 people.
- You can map the PTT features to specific buttons on your phone.
- Bluetooth compatible.
- Works over wifi and 2G, 3G, 4G + connections
- Great for use in theme parks, and on cruse ships.
With these 4 apps, you can be the master of logistics for your next big travel, or coordinating the reunion next year. I’m certain that you will find value with all of them, and once installed, they will be excellent resources for your travel.